[title-subtitle-heading subtitle=”a delicious snack for the week”]Healthy Energy Squares[/title-subtitle-heading]
I have been trying to get this recipe correct for weeks and I have finally nailed it. A gluten free, dairy free take on the classic muesli bar. This recipe is filled with nutritious ingredients and is energy dense, a small square will send you bouncing through your day. Have fun with it! These bad boys are super easy to make and an essential for any lunch box.
- 1 cup of mixed raw nuts
- 1 cup brown rice puffs
- 1 cup coconut flour/ uncontaminated oats/ grain of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup/ agave/
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mesquite powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Place a piece of baking paper in a tin of any shape (i used a circle today)
- Mix all the grains, nuts and spices in a bowl until well combined
- Melt the coconut oil in a hot water bathe
- Add the syrup and mix well together
- Pour the oil mix over the grains nuts and spices.
- Mix the mix together with your hands until well combined
- Press down the mix firmly onto the baking paper
- Place in the oven for 20 mins 160 degrees, or until cripsy brown
- Let it cool for half an hour
- Slice and enjoy
You can really play around with this recipe adding the nuts and flavours that you enjoy.
the key to success is to leave the bars to sit after you have baked them, this allows them to firm up and hold the shape.